ABROAD...again


Well, I am living abroad...yet again. After Singapore, Spain, Turkey, Korea the Netherlands (and returning to Spain for a Masters) I've unpacked my backpack a little closer to home in Mexico. I live in Culiacan where I am trying my hand at teaching English to University and high school students. Below you'll find random updates as I go to festivals, explore my city or just feel like sharing a random story.

Monday, February 16, 2009

What's Black and White and Red all over?

Well Red for Valentines Day

Valentine's Day in Korea is "February 14th"

Valentine's Day is kind of the opposite of back home. The girls are supposed to buy presents for the boys. So you make (or purchase) chocolate and give it to a guy you like as an expression of your love. Guys prefer to get handmade chocolates and it is then more likely that the girl reallly likes you and isn't just giving you chocolate because she wants something.

White for "White Day" (March 14th)

Now, on White Day, if you received chocolate from a girl you are supposed to return the favor. This means you (the male) are supposed to multiply how much you think the chocolate cost by about three, and give something worth that much to the girl. Normally these presents are little things like cookies, underwear, white chocolate, marshmallows and then something "fancier" like jewelry, or stuffed animals.

Black for "Black Day" (April 14th)

Now, single people of the world UNITE! For we have our own day here. Black day is for people who neither gave nor receieved presents on white day. We all sit together ALONE (but together!) and eat jjajangmyeon (짜장면), white Korean noodles with a black sauce. Its actually kinda depressing and I see many tears, but I dig the 짜장면 so its a good day for me :-)

No comments:

Followers