ABROAD...again


Well, I am living abroad...yet again. After Singapore, Spain, Turkey, Korea the Netherlands (and returning to Spain for a Masters) I've unpacked my backpack a little closer to home in Mexico. I live in Culiacan where I am trying my hand at teaching English to University and high school students. Below you'll find random updates as I go to festivals, explore my city or just feel like sharing a random story.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What I want to do when I grow up

I was talking to a friend via e-mail and she asked me how I decided to be what I am today. This is what followed:

I wish I knew.

When I was younger I said I wanted to be anything but a teacher. My mom, dad, and many aunts were teachers. I heard their horror stories, the lack of respect and thought...no way...not for me. This was at the young age of five!!!

I started with a love for journalism. When I was young I made a newspaper about our family news. I called it NO NEWS, because no news is good news, really I was adorable.

I LOVED journalism until my last semester of high school. My senior year our journalism teacher had a nervous breakdown. She walked off campus in the middle of the day. They hired an English substitute but she didn't know journalism. My father taught at the high school and I grew up there (literally since I was three) so they decided I could just moderate the class. Yes, they put a high school student in charge of the journalism class. I just about went crazy. I learned to set fake deadlines (the real deadline was one week after) to allow me to get all the stories in on time. I called my teachers constantly from the journalism room saying I was getting a friend to take notes for me could they please mark me as present and I would not show up. I basically worked my butt off. I graduated, got into college and went to freshman orientation.

There was a computer glitch on my freshman orientation form. Turns out they didn't know if my major was journalism or communications. I instantly told them it was communications. I'd never heard of the field but I needed to get out of journalism. I began studying communications and actually found it a great field. It was about how and why people communicated. I learned how to communicate effectively in a group, all about inter cultural communication, and even nonverbal communication.

I had gone to France once with the French Club in high school(no I don't speak French I took Spanish in high school). And discovered I loved it! I went on to study in Singapore and LOVED it even more! I tried to drop out of college after Singapore, my father told me I could, but then I had to pay him back for the tuition he'd already paid. I decided to finish up college. From there I studied in Spain and did a month in Turkey. I was really very happy living out of a backpack.

I now have a degree in Communications, a minor in Spanish, and NO IDEA what to do with it.

I am teaching abroad right now, but I can't decide if I like it or not. The Korean form of education is certainly different than the United States. Teachers get more respect, however, some students are in school until 10pm! I can't support this! So I will work here the rest of the year pay my parents back the loan they gave me. Maybe I will WWOOF it for a while. Then teach for the Peace Corps.

I feel like I have no skills, no desires, and no direction. But I am still young, right?

Basically, I know I want to be happy, but I don't know how, and I don't know doing what. I wish I did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I'm still in school though, and I feel like I'm going to graduate with a degree that I'll never use. The bad part is, I haven't even picked a major haha. I know I would LOVE to work for the Peace Corp or Amnesty International and just live abroad. I don't even care if I ever earn another dollar ever again. As long as I have the basic necessities and am actually helping people and making a difference, that's all I need and I will die a happy person. I was thinking maybe a degree in Anthropology or Humanities might help a little, but I'm still not sure at all. You're more advanced though, so if you have any suggestions or any kind of guidance, it would be much, much appreciated! And I also want to wish you the best of luck with your future! - DJ

dj_sarver@hotmail.com

Followers