ABROAD...again


Well, I am living abroad...yet again. After Singapore, Spain, Turkey, Korea the Netherlands (and returning to Spain for a Masters) I've unpacked my backpack a little closer to home in Mexico. I live in Culiacan where I am trying my hand at teaching English to University and high school students. Below you'll find random updates as I go to festivals, explore my city or just feel like sharing a random story.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Day Three:











I had a SHORT day today! Only 13kilometers. Knowing this I woke up later and left around 8:15. The walk was still lots of freeway but not as much and really much prettier. I arrived at 11:45 to the small town of Villanieva de Campean. Most people walk through and head to Zamora but I had a little blister that was not happy times and wanted to arrive in Zamora refreshed and happy so I opted to stay in the Alburgue.

It was a newer alburgue that was still being built in the second story. The town was small, no store only a bar. I went into the bar and read the newspaper (great article about Picasso´s cubism being influenced by an old Bible he would have seen) and had the menu del dia (green beans, basket of bread, slice of meat with french fries, yogurt and wine). When he left the bottle of wine at my table I was unsure how much I was supposed to drink so I had about a quarter of the bottle. I was later told I didn´t drink enough :P

As I went to sleep that night an Irish pilgrim studying to be a priest came in the Alburgue at about 8:30pm or so. He had planned on staying in Zamora another night but the Alburgue only lets you stay one night so he had to bike to the next closest city. He and I exchanged a few stories and then went to sleep.

I have talked a bit about the alburgues that there are. They vary a lot, sometimes they are big with kitchens. Some alburgues are very small with hardly a bathroom. Sometimes therey are abandoned train stations that you can set your sleeping bag up wherever and sleep. The Irish-priest-to-be stayed there and blessed the rooms to make sure that nothing bad would happen as he slept.

MORAL: Better safe than sorry :P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I finally found this in dad's list of favorites. Hasn't been updated. I know that you are in Egypt...righ? I hope you kept a diary or something like that. I think it will be something you'll want to have. I am sure that you had some great experiences.
Besos
Mom

Followers