ABROAD...again


Well, I am living abroad...yet again. After Singapore, Spain, Turkey, Korea the Netherlands (and returning to Spain for a Masters) I've unpacked my backpack a little closer to home in Mexico. I live in Culiacan where I am trying my hand at teaching English to University and high school students. Below you'll find random updates as I go to festivals, explore my city or just feel like sharing a random story.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Free Hugs!

Free What?

In this age of social disconnectivity and lack of human contact, the effects of the Free Hugs campaign became phenomenal.

Says Who?
A man had been living in London when he got kicked out and had to to return to Sydney. He had no one to welcome him back, no place to call home.

As he stood there in the arrivals terminal, watching other passengers meeting their waiting friends and family, with open arms and smiling faces, hugging and laughing together, he wanted someone out there to be waiting for him. To hug him.

So he got some cardboard and a marker and made a sign. He found the busiest pedestrian intersection in the city and held that sign aloft, with the words "Free Hugs" on both sides.

Everyone has problems but to see someone who was once frowning, smile even for a moment, is worth it every time.



Why do I hug?
Back when I worked customer service I was often told "thank you." For what? For asking how people were and sounding like I meant it (I usually did), for wishing they would have a nice day and smiling.

People have become robots...we are becoming more and more like the electronics we are addicted to. And maybe, if we could get back those feelings (good, bad, everything) then we would have less problems...and if not, well its a great place to start trying :)






1 comment:

Lisa said...

You are so hilarious!!!!! And yes I did misquote Drew it is still UNCLE NESSA

Followers