ABROAD...again


Well, I am living abroad...yet again. After Singapore, Spain, Turkey, Korea the Netherlands (and returning to Spain for a Masters) I've unpacked my backpack a little closer to home in Mexico. I live in Culiacan where I am trying my hand at teaching English to University and high school students. Below you'll find random updates as I go to festivals, explore my city or just feel like sharing a random story.

Friday, November 7, 2008

Cute Random Story

So, I was teaching a discussion class (meaning I am on my own) and my students were being a little rowdy. So I gave them a little, "Hey, I need everyone to be quiet" and one of the boys (not even a very fluent boy, classic average kids who barely speaks English properly) looks me straight in the eyes and says, "Don't worry baby, I've got it covered"

REALLY?

really?

REALLY

He never did tell me where he learned that must have been some song or something. It was probably one of the highlight of my teaching career, although there was the kid that said two...

Well there was the one boy who would never speak English and I went over to him because he had his hand raised. So He crinkled his brow stared at his paper in complete concentration looked up at me and said, "Two?" while pointing to his paper.

I was so proud of him I nodded and said, "Yes, write it twice"

He got so proud he sat up straight in his chair shoulders back and beaming with happiness began writing. His friend, who grew up partly in America looked at me and commented snarkily, "He's very proud for only saying one word, " Prat!

I smiled and told him that that one word was perfect and I do not require my students to say, "Excuse my professor, but am I required to write this word for a total of two times?," "Two?" would suffice just fine.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

So cute. I am going to still that little boy's line. Miss you. Are you feeling better?? We all just got over a 3 week cold...it sucked!!!

Anonymous said...

awww. you are such a good teacher.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you might be able to start a collection of these little tidbits. This might make you some money from Readers' Digest.
Besos,
Mom

Anonymous said...

talking about kids say the darndest thing. so going to say that to you from now on ;-P

-Lisa

Followers