ABROAD...again


Well, I am living abroad...yet again. After Singapore, Spain, Turkey, Korea the Netherlands (and returning to Spain for a Masters) I've unpacked my backpack a little closer to home in Mexico. I live in Culiacan where I am trying my hand at teaching English to University and high school students. Below you'll find random updates as I go to festivals, explore my city or just feel like sharing a random story.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mud Fest (Late I know...my bad!)

OK, so I snagged some mudfest photos from Patrick...voila!


Song, Aaron, Me, Jessica (new friend!), and Patrick!!! All muddy


Craig me and Patrick all muddy


Eugene, Me, Cherith, and some dude...all muddy...well I just got out of the ocean I think...but I am muddier than I am on a normal day.

We got really luck the weather was AWESOME, beautiful sky, lovely sun oooh my beach bum spirit was soooo happy!

So anyways the the Boryeong Mud Festival is this annual festival that is basically a BRILLIANT marketing ploy. The city of Boryeong figured out that using its mud (which is rich in minerals) for face masks and spa treatments was making WAY more money than using it in the fields. And then they thought, hey how can we make even more money out of this?

Ahh yes, a festival! It usually attracts about 1.5 million visitors to Boryeong.

They have mud slides, mud wrestling, mud pits, a shallow warm water rinsing pool (which we're pretty sure everyone pees in so we preferred the ocean) live bands playing, and the friggin' paparazzi. Pictures were CONSTANTLY being taken of me.

In fact....

ok, this is embarrassing...

So I lost my flip flops one day (they came off in the mud) so I bought a new pair and they have the Korean flag on them. So you can't actually wear flip-flops in the mud (they get stuck) but I found a piece of rope so I tied them to my bikini bottoms and voila! Instant sandal carrier.

So, I am walking around with my friend Mike. And these photographers point to me, point to my sandal and point to him. Now at this point I am ENRAGED. I am tired of these people taking advantage of us, I mean yes, we get lots of free things but if they ask me to hug, or pose with one more person I am going to SCREAM!

So they ask me again, me, sandal him. And I (and Mike) tell them "NO ABSOLUTELY NOT!" we're putting our collective foot down, "I WILL NOT SPANK HIM WITH MY SANDAL" so we say no a lot more and are feeling very proud of ourselves when one of them finally put together a little English, "You, He, hanguk" ooooo they just wanted me in the picture with him and the flag...no spanking involved...oops! Hey its not MY fault, Mike's mind went there too! I am sure its what lots of people were thinking...ok...maybe not...

So anyways...yeah..we smiled for the picture...damn papparazi.

No comments:

Followers